Tuesday, October 1, 2013

September Recap

I was actually able to read 5 books in September which is really good for me!

I was put on bed rest at the end of the month until the baby comes so hopefully the reading streak will continue for the foreseeable future.















Night Film by Marisha Pessl-I loved the concept for this book.  I really enjoyed the addition of the newspaper articles and websites that were thrown in throughout the book.  I also loved the ambiguity of the story.  What really happened?  Which version is true?  While I did enjoy the plot of the book the characters were just "eh" for me. I never really connected to any of them. The one character I was interested in, Cordova, was the character we knew the least about!  Of course that is how it is supposed to be but it would have been nice to be a little more invested in the fate of the 3 main protagonists.  I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars because it really was a great book plot wise and definitely held me attention.













Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier-This book has been a classic that I have wanted to read forever and I always put it off.  I am so glad I finally got around to it! It had such a creepy, Gothic feel to it and the writing was gorgeous.  I loved watching the evolution of the (nameless) narrator and I felt so bad for her as she tried to adjust to her new roll and life at Manderlay.  There is a big reveal about 2/3 of the way through the book and the pages after that had me scratching my head and questioning a lot of things the characters do which is the only reason I gave this a 4 out of 5 stars and not a full 5 stars. A great classic for those who may be a little scared of them (like me!).














Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell-Oh, this book.  This book pulled out my heart and stomped all over it.  And I absolutely adored every moment of it. Such an amazing story of first love.  Definitely 5 out of 5 stars.  Read it now!













The Story of a Marriage by Andrew Sean Greer-I was intrigued by the description of this book and the fact that every review I read gave nothing away and stated that you have to discover what the story is about yourself.  And they were all right.  It is best to go into this book knowing nothing at all because that is the most enjoyable part of the whole thing.  Things are revealed slowly and take you by surprise and I would not want to take that away from anyone reading it.  That said, the book was just OK for me.  It is very short which is why I didn't mind finishing it but it didn't blow me away.  It can be read in an afternoon and the writing is very good.  3 out of 5 stars.













Coraline by Neil Gaiman-With Halloween coming up I wanted to read a scary-ish story and this seemed to be a good place to start for a scardey cat like me!  Coraline is one brave and clever little girl and her adventure behind the wall with the "other Mother" was very entertaining to read.  It had just enough creepiness to create a truly scary story but wasn't too scary.  I really liked it and it was my first Gaiman!  4 out of 5 stars.

Totals:

5 Books
About 1,726 pages

Year to date:

27 Books
About 10,128 pages

No comments: